The Govt. of Tamil Nadu named The Ice House Vivekanandar Illam. It was built by Mr. Frederic
Tudor, the 'Ice King' in Calcutta, Bombay and Chennai to keep ice under proper insulation so
that it could be stored for months together. Today, it houses a Gallery of about 150 rare
photographs on the life of Swami Vivekananda.
Originally called Ice House, this landmark
was re-christened Vivekananda Illam in 1963. This was in remembrance of Swami Vivekananda's
brief sojourn here. (in 1897 when he delivered seven historic lectures at Chennai). It also
houses a section on India's cultural heritage and on the history of the building itself.
Open from 9.00 am to 12.30 pm and from 3.00 pm to 6.30 pm.
It is closed on Wednesdays.